select culture in first item creation

Topics: Troubleshooting
Apr 29, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Hi,

We will be having a multi language website which could have articles and content parts that would not be shown in each language. I tried to add the language selector as a part to the content type so I could be able to choose the language on creation, But that does not show a selector. Is it possible to choose the language of a new item?
When I add the language selector to a content type, I will get a language selector in the item list, but not in the creation.
Apr 29, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Hi,

As far as I remember, language selector becomes available after enabling Localization feature. It will appear for every Content Type, that has Localization part attached to it. Or maybe I don't understand you correctly ...
Apr 29, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Hi,
  • I enabled the localisation and culture picker
  • I added the Culture Picker part to my content type
  • I look at the list of content and see a dropdown menu in the list item of my content item of that type
  • I click on an item of that type to edit it, I don't see the dropdown menu to change the language
  • When clicking on "new item" I also expect to see the dropdown menu to select the language of my new item, but it is not there.
Apr 29, 2013 at 8:18 AM
You don't have to add Culture Picker part to the content type. You need to add Localization part instead. Sorry, Culture Picker part seems to be confusing here, and most likely it will be removed in the next version.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:19 AM
That has also been added, but I cannot choose the language of a new item, any ideas on how to do that?
I can only add translations, but that will probably mean that the first item is Always created as an item of the default culture?
Apr 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Yes, unfortunately you can't choose culture from the start, and the first content item will be created in default culture. I'm afraid this is a limitation of Orchard.
The possible workaround is to create content item in default culture, add translations, and delete content item in default culture if it's no longer needed.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:34 AM
damn :) maybe you guys can make your content part working for this? :)
Apr 29, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I think it's a minor issue, that can be easily fixed in the Localization module source code. I would recommend you to submit an issue to the Orchard project issue tracker.

Apr 29, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Will do, thanks!